Friday, March 18, 2011

The Delectable Ms. Stone


They say that French women embrace their "flaws" & celebrate them as part of their individuality.  They use them to define & distinguish themselves from everyone else.  Natalie Portman said in "Teen Vogue", "A French woman will take as her greatest attributes things that other women consider flaws & own them in a way that makes her confident.  Her sexiness is that she is every bit herself."

I never understood that concept.  I always thought that's something they tell regular people like me to make them feel better about things they can't change about themselves.  I felt that way, that is, until I set my eyes on Lara Stone.  Despite my obsession with having perfect teeth, I yearned for a gap in my teeth like hers when I saw her.  Even the fabulous Lauren Hutton did not elicit that response in me.  She made having a gap in your teeth look sexy.  I loved how she owned her gap, too.  Stone once said in an interview, "Every time I go to the dentist they always say, 'you really need to fix that gap of yours.'  I'm like, 'my gap is paying your dentist bills...'"

I also like to fantasize that maybe, just maybe, my body kind of, sort of looks like hers because we share the same dress size.  I'm not that disillusioned, but it's just a little bit of wishful thinking on my part.  Of course, it is because she's "heavy" for a model.  Stone told "W" magazine: 
A lot of people say it's nice to see someone who won't break in half when you touch them.  But I am still a woman & a person, & if you're compared & confronted with your colleagues, & they're all half your size, you think, F***, I'm really fat!  & then on other days, I'm like, 'Oh, I'm not that bad.'
She was also quoted as saying, "If I could have the discipline to be super-skinny, I would be.  I think of dieting, then I eat pizza.  I'm a woman, & every woman wants to be skinnier--unfortunately."  I love how real she is. 

However, unfortunately, Lara Stone has caved to all the pressure & is reportedly slimming down.  "I don’t want to be the fat one anymore," she said. "So, I have just started doing Pilates every morning, then going to the gym, running, & swimming.  I make sure to relax in the sauna after exercising."

Well, as long as I don't hear she's going to the orthodontist...

No comments:

Post a Comment